Tuesday 15 October 2013

Public and Private school debate

When i started my teaching course, one of the many things i was concerned about was whether to apply at a private or a public school upon qualifying. I'm currently employed at a private school in an admin position (soon to be the FP Zulu teacher). I have had many discussions with my colleagues, many of them having taught at public schools before.

I went to public schools during my schooling and from what i have seen, there is quite a huge difference in resources(obviously) between public and private, and many other features too many to list.
One similar feature though are the learning styles that teachers use.

There are obviously many pros and cons both for both sides but am curious to know what you all think?
how different do you think the students you teach now, would be if they attended a private/public school or vice versa?


Would you change schools if you had a choice?
Does it matter for you personally which school you teach at?


Let me know!!
Smartie 1 signing out......

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your new blog, Sharon! It looks wonderful! Enjoy the journey!

    Casey

    ReplyDelete
  2. I Sharon I got the same advice from many people that I should start my teaching career in a public school. They all say that you really learn to teach at public schools because you don't have the resources and they are so many kinds of learners.

    I'm not sure if I agree wholeheartedly because I think that private schools often demand more from a teacher. But it is an interesting thought.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sharon,

    I think that newly qualified teachers should be exposed to public school environment first as it gives the new teacher experience in dealing with the different challenges that comes with public school enivironment, but this does not mean that private school does not have its challenges. You will encounter different challenges in private schools as suppose to public schools.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting debate, ladies! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete